GP500Store.co.uk Forum Index  
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 GPL tracks cracked. View next topic
View previous topic
raisinberry777
Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey ManleyStanley, could I find out which tools are needed to convert tracks from GPL to Gp500.

Help would be much appreciated,
Raisinberry777
ManleyStanley
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Download the Racer game http://www.racer.nl/ . It comes with GPLex. Use it to unpact the .dat file. Then use winmip http://www.horbra.de/winmip/Winmip2.htm to convert the .srb's to .bmp, then convert the .bmp's to .mip; gplex exports models based on textures, so models with .srb textures wont export. Now use gplex to open the track 3do; it will have the track name, export as wrl. Go to your Racer folder and open the temp3do folder. Put the wrl's for the track in a new folder in the temp3do folder, leave the .raw's; gplex uses them when exporting the track side objects. Which is your next step. Note sometimes you may have to run gplex a couple of times to get it to convert as many models as possable. Gplex is slow and a big cpu hog. GPLtrack editor can be used to convert stuborn 3dos, but you lose textures and placement info.
Now use Deepexploration http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/ to convert the .wrl's to what you need for your modeling program; I use .cob and Metasequoia. Despite gplex saying it will export with .bmp assosiations, it wont. So you have to go through and reassosiate the textures. Now open your modeling program; or with deepex, and start reassembling the objects to make the models. Not too difficult all peaces will know where they belong, just put them together. It has taken me a week just to reassemble all the models for the big track I'm working on.

Like I've said converting down only takes a couple of hours; usually, it's the reconstruction and reassosiation that can take days. Then comes the fun part, converting up to GP500. Wink
Also note that once all of this is done and you have the track up and running in game you will see there is a lot of fill work to do, out of place, or missing model parts, and missassosiated textures.

This is how far I have gotten with the fill work on Interlagos; the green lines are the fill work.

Once you have all this done, you can join the rest of us trying to get the .obp and .pat made and working. Something only about 4 people have managed to do so far. No I'm not one of them. Crying or Very sad
raisinberry777
Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks ManleyStanley, you are a legend

It's a bugger the Lausitzring I was converting was actually an oval, but you have to keep it easy for starters
ManleyStanley
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, ya. The bigger and more complicated the track, the more and weirder the problems. Laughing
LaZy_tJaI
Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you managed to make a parking lot track yet? Just one big asfalt and some haybails for the walls.

raisinberry777
Champion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure, but I think Stus doing a guide for the .obp and .pat
Bryan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yeh thats right.

ManleyStanley
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Knowing how to do them and actually having them work are two different things. Wink

Well I have lost faith in GPLex. While going through the 3dos looking for the rest of a bridge, I found that GPLex hadden't converted about half the track side objects. This may only be a problem with bigger tracks, but I'm going back through the smaller tracks to see.
raisinberry777
Champion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That really is dodgy, is there any other programs around converting 3do to wrl?

EDIT: Almost downloaded all the programs needed, going to get Metasoquia and Deep Exploration this afternoon and then I'll start converting, FINALLY

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or as Rossi's NT bike says,

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ManleyStanley
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No, You don't want Metasequoia. If you get it tell me if it saves right. Never has for me. File extentions don't match file types. ie I save as LWO, but it is labled as .cob. the old 3dexplorer will open it then I save as an .x. That's why I haven't put a link up.
You might try wings3d http://www.wings3d.com/ it imports and exports as 3ds. Or you may try any of these http://www.3dlinks.com/links.cfm?categoryid=1&subcategoryid=2

The place for free/shairware CG programs. Wink
raisinberry777
Champion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is there anywhere you can download 3dexploration, or can deepexploration convert to .x too?
ManleyStanley
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Deepex can can convert much more then 3dex, but 3dex is the only converter that ignores the file extention and just reads the file. I've e-mail Mizno labs about the problem with Metasequoia, but I have never gotten a responce. The only reason I use Meta is because I like the straight foward interface. Even with the screwed up saves it's still one of the best of the free modeling progs.

Oh, if you get a stable version of Deepex let me know, I'm still using the demo, I won't buy it because it crashes with predictable regularity. And note that 3dex dosen't save the .x in ASCII so I have to resave the .x with Deepex. If I had C4D I wouldn't have to be using any converters.
raisinberry777
Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I managed to download a full, or at least I think full, version of DeepExploration at http://www.vnunet.com/articles/download/2128144

I have all programs needed, time to start converting

The track I downloaded doesn't have many trackside objects
Bryan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

dont think this aint a full version..But u can search for a crack hehe

Bertram
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The title says it all.... it seems to be a useful programme, but it is doing a few odd things. I am currently building in fill-work around a track I am working on, but I am having trouble texturing the polys. I insert the polys, convert them to a object, add a material, and even get the texure on to it. HOWEVER, I can't rotate or scale or get the texture to actually fit the the polys.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Manley, if you type in the extension of the file type you are trying to save, the programme will save it. It seems to ignore the extension if you let the save dialogue box do it for you.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic